Kefir Starter Culture UK supplier (3 Kefir Starter Sachets).
(We do not stock Kefir grains try http://www.thekefirshop.co.uk for grains.)
Read about the benefits of Kefir featured on the BBC website here
- Live and Active Kefir Cultures
- No Appliance Needed
- Make Fresh Kefir At Home
- Makes 6 Litres
- Easy and Economical
- No Preservatives
- No Colouring Agent
The cultures of Kefir are active and growing when they enter your body. They thrive in dairy and use up the lactose and partially digest the proteins, making it a product that most people can ingest and will benefit from. Even people with milk sensitivities can usually drink kefir. These strong strains of digestive bacteria will also culture coconut water from young coconuts or any milk product.
In addition to repopulating the digestive tract, enzyme stores are added to in the body. Sally Fallon and the Weston A. Price state that people have come to realize that cultured foods will actually add back enzyme stores into the enzyme banks of the body and aid the body in digesting other foods. Kefir, cultured cream, buttermilk, cultured vegetables, etc all add predigested food full of vitamins and minerals, normal flora, and enzymes to the body.
Some people have remarked upon how ‘relaxed’ they feel after drinking Kefir. This is thought to be due to the abundance of the essential amino acid Trptophan, which has a relaxing effect on the nervous system, this makes it a great bed time drink for those who have sleep problems.
- Kefir also has an abundance of calcium, magnesium and is a wonderful source of B Vitamins such as B12, B1, Biotin and Vitamin K.
- Often people who are lactose intolerant can usually digest Kefir or can make kefir with coconut milk.
- Kefir contains beneficial bacteria and beneficial yeasts. These beneficial yeasts destroy pathogenic yeasts in the system and are well tolerated by people with a yeast intolerance.
- It is thought that the regular use of kefir can help relieve intestinal disorders and return the digestive system to health. It is also said to help eliminate unhealthy food cravings again by balancing the digestive system and by its supply of vitamins and minerals.
Each sachet in our Kefir Culture starter pack will make one litre of Kefir. You can then use 200ml of this first litre to start your next batch. You can do this seven times before you will need to start a new culture. Our starter pack should be enough for around 40 litres of Kefir.
Refrigerate the sachets on receipt, the sachets will stay active for 24 months refrigerated or a couple of months unrefrigerated.
Make Lactose Free Kefir : Coconut Kefir
How to make lactose free kefir from coconut milk.
- Slightly heat the water from 3 fresh coconuts (about 1 litre) in a saucepan.
- Once the water gets to about 30 Deg C , stir in one sachet of Kefir Starter.
- Heating the water before adding the culture just gives the fermentation a kick-start and “wakes up” the bacteria and provides a good breeding environment.
- Transfer the mixture to a glass jar, and then let the water sit out at about 20 Deg C for about 36-48 hours, depending on how stable and warm the environment is.
The bacteria will ferment the sugar in the coconut water, and by doing so, will turn the clear liquid into a white, bubbly, foaming mixture. When you take the lid off it should pop like a carbonated soft drink or soda. This is your first indication the mixture is ready, Next, taste it to make sure all of the sugar has been fermented away. The kefir should be tart, tangy and bubbly. Now you have fresh home made coconut kefir. You can actually get a lot of bang for your buck out of one sachet of starter culture. To make subsequent batches of kefir, add in 300ml of kefir to your next litre of coconut water.
Goats Milk Kefir
Goats milk requires more starter to milk when making initial batch. Use one foil packet to 2 cups of milk.
Every single portion of kefir can be re-cultivated
One sachet is enough to make 1 litre of thick creamy milk kefir and reculture further batches
Can be set at room temperature. No need for specific appliances
Contains a blend of the following Lacto-bacteria and yeasts: Lactococcus lactis ssp. cremoris,Lactococcus lactis ssp. lactis, Lactococcus lactis ssp. lactis biovar diacetylactis, S.thermophilus, Lactobacillus kefir, Lactobacillus delbrueckii ssp. bulgaricus,kefir yeast (kefir grains-Lactobacillus parakefir, Saccharomyces cerevisiae, Kluyveromyces lactis)
Mild in taste, suitable for healthy smoothies
It is manufactured in a facility that processes milk and contains traces of lactose. The product is not intended for direct consumption. For best results use with whole dairy milk, soy or cashew milk with no preservatives and additives. Do not store open sachet.